Friday, November 13, 2015

Put yer phones away (and get off my lawn)

A couple months ago, I called my mom one morning. Tickets were going on sale for a concert in town, and I wanted to know if her and my dad wanted to go with me.

The two country acts that played were pretty big. A week ago, they were at the CMAs. Which, you know, is cool and all, but I'm still trying to forget one of the performances.

Cringe. Thomas Rhett with Fall Out Boy?

Really? Did someone actually think that was a good idea?

Anyway, I was willing to forgive him for that one.

So, last night I rocked a concert with my parents. I was in charge of getting the tickets. I had kind of a hard time selecting three seats together, because a certain place you buy tickets online doesn't want one lone seat left in the middle of a row.

(That's a nice way of saying I don't have a plus one. Thanks for reminding me, TicketMaster.)

So, after trying to buy tickets a few times, I decided what the hell, I'll just buy pit tickets. No seats! No problem!

This is my preferred way to attend concerts. You move around, you can touch the artists if you really want (I don't want anybody touching me, thankyouverymuch), and you get stuff like guitar picks thrown at you.

So, I was pretty happy last night. The music was great, the artists were great, and I had a fun time.

Looking around the pit shortly before the opening act started, I noticed something.

The crowd was pretty young, and their faces were glued to their phones. The singer would be two feet away from them, walking on a platform that jetted into the audience, and girls would be taking selfies.

One woman (not young) actually turned her back to the artist, trying to get a selfie with him in the background.

Dude! Don't treat Brett Eldredge like that! He wants to see your face singing along, not the back of your head.

I feel like the old lady in a bathrobe, yelling at the neighborhood kids.

Get off my lawn!

Okay, I'll be honest. I pulled out my phone a few times for photos. Then, much like my policy on phones and weddings, I put my phone away.

Also, where did all the hipsters come from in my hometown?

I'm borderline too old for this.



No comments:

Post a Comment