Saturday, July 31, 2021

I hurry, I can still make Cheyenne.

This next blog post is about my favorite thing and my favorite place in the world: Standing in the pit, shoulder to shoulder in a sold out crowd, surrounded by other members of the Church Choir.

If you read my blog, you probably know that I’m a huge music person. I was raised on Alan Jackson and George Strait.

A couple years ago, my parents and I had front row seats to a Brothers Osborne show.

Concerts are engraved in my blood and it’s just who I am. 

I also love traveling and driving, and I’ll drive anywhere (almost*) to see a good show.

In 2019, I bought tickets to Cheyenne Frontier Days in Wyoming. While I am not a huge rodeo person, I do love me an Eric Church concert, and he played Cheyenne on Thursday.

Mind you, I bought those tickets two years, two jobs, and three houses ago. So it’s been a minute since I decided to go to the show.

It turns out that I got the fast pass, which let me into the venue before the doors officially opened. Remember that I bought these tickets like 700 days ago, so I don’t actually remember buying them.

But those tickets let me into the venue early. I had standing room only tickets, and when I got to the space on the rodeo grounds’ dirt floor, there was already a line of people surrounding the gate. 

Whatever, I figure. The view was amazing and I’m okay with being in the second row at a concert instead of the first.


It was also really fun for me to turn around when the gates to everyone else opened. I watched everyone else full-on sprinting to their spot.

Ha, ha.

My favorite spot on this planet is being in the pit and being surrounded by other fan club members. Particularly, I like the older couples that go to the shows. 

Two of those couples adopted me into their family that night. We had great conversations about music, concerts, work, travel and life.

Fan club members are the best people in the world.

And I’m almost always adopted by these people when they ask me the same question - are you here alone?

My favorite way to answer that question: You mean alone literally, or alone philosophy?

People laugh.

I’ve gotten used to the question and it doesn’t bother me anymore. The truth js that in life, I am not alone. But in the sense of vacations and concerts? 

I wish I had someone to experience this with, but at the moment, I do not. That doesn’t mean that I won’t ever have that. It just means that for now, I am alone, and I can either sit at home and feel sorry for myself (full disclosure - I don’t have a home at the moment) or I can do whatever the hell I want whenever the hell I want to do it.

So if Eric Church plays in Wyoming, I can go.

I love hanging out with these couples at shows because that’s what I want in life.

I want a love like that. 

I do not want someone who stares at their phone the entire time at concerts. I do not want someone who wants someone else.

I want what I want, and until I find someone whose presence is sweeter than my introverted solitude, I will travel alone and go to concerts alone.

I love doing life like this.

Stay tuned for part two!

No comments:

Post a Comment