Thursday, February 2, 2017

From the mouths of babes

Last weekend, my family and I went to an artist's reception in my hometown.

An added bonus is that my family knows the artist, so that was pretty great.

We took the twins and the baby, because why not? A guy gave the twins a guitar - a real guitar! - to play and he sat it on the ground. The twins strummed it and had a good time.

The same guy came up to me later in the night, and asked if the girls liked it. I told him yes, they did, and I asked him to play a song for them.

He agreed, and said he had a song in mind.

We gathered the three girls up, ages 3, 3 and 1, which is kind of like herding cats. We took them to a corner of the building, by a staircase, and listened to the nice man play "You are my sunshine."

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy

When skies are gray. 

At this point, the red-headed 3-year-old was sitting beside me on the staircase. I was trying to get her to sing along.

The little red-haired girl leaned over to me, like she wanted to whisper in my ear.

Aw, I thought. She's going to sing to me!

Her exact words: "I have to poop."

The nice man playing the guitar continued singing.

You never know dear, how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away. 

I love kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment