Saturday, August 9, 2014

Beautiful

As I mentioned in a previous post, I went to a craft fair in my hometown last weekend.

I took $20, without really knowing what I wanted to buy. I figured I'd find something kind of cool.

I browsed first, and made a mental note of all the things I was interested in buying. And then I turned the corner and saw a booth full of beautiful beaded jewelry.

A lady approached me and talked to me about the necklaces, purses and bracelets that were on display. It turns out a lady in Lawrence, Kan. started a non-profit to help widowed and abandoned women in Uganda.

The women in Uganda make the beads out of paper. Yes, you read that right. Paper!

Don't ask me how it works, because I have no idea. All I know it the jewelry is beautiful and I wanted all of it.

I settled for this necklace, which cost me $10.



I wore it twice this week. When people asked me about it, I got all excited and nerdy. A former journalist wearing a necklace made out of paper?

It was meant to be.

Plus, I'm kind of weird when it comes to jewelry. I'm allergic to metal and can't wear anything that has nickel in it.

I'm special like that.

That eliminates practically 95 percent of jewelry out there. Bummer, right? I hated that when I was younger, but now I kind of like the challenge of trying to find jewelry to wear that won't try to kill me.

Plus, I like jewelry that's kind of eccentric. Anybody can go to a department store and find stuff that's generic.

My jewelry? It needs to have a story.

I'll be buying more from this non-profit in the future. It's called Project Lydia, and it's pretty fantastic.

More info on Project Lydia:

Facebook

Website

No comments:

Post a Comment