Sunday, June 1, 2014

The pre-wedding debacle

My best friend got married on Saturday.

Before I go into how fun it was, I need to tell you what happened the day of. It's pretty funny and something that would only happen to me.

I wear both contacts and glasses. What I really want is Lasik, but you don't always get what you want.

I go through phases where I like wearing glasses and phases where I prefer contacts.

I've been in a glasses mood lately. I have this weird personality quirk where I don't like being photographed in glasses, though.  I knew I wanted a photo of us at the rehearsal dinner, so I thought I'd put my contacts in.

The contacts I used on Friday night were brand new, straight out of the package, as was the contact solution I used. I washed my hands 5,000 times and got the contacts in on the second try.

I noticed they stung a little afterward, but it wasn't super painful and it wasn't noticeable. Me putting in contacts is sometimes a traumatic hour-long experience, so I was happy it was quick this time around.

Friday night came and went, then I made a huge mistake and slept in my contacts. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that, but I haven't worn contacts in months and I didn't think anything of it.

Then 7 a.m. Saturday rolls around, and it's time to wake up. I swiped my phone to turn the alarm off, and I noticed that hey, looking at a bright phone kind of hurts. Actually, it really hurts.

Hm. What's going on?

I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I was horrified. My right eye was bloodshot and oozing...stuff. The contact in it felt like a knife. My other eye was a little red, too.

I looked like I had pink eye.

I knew I was going to be photographed, so I sat down to think of an eyeball plan. It took me about 20 minutes to realize what was happening. I did not have pink eye, I didn't put my fingers in my eyes without washing them several times first, I didn't use old contacts. In fact, I was pretty sure I did everything correctly.

I spent a lot of time outside this week. I figured it out then - my allergies were angry and were attempting to murder my eyes.

Stupid allergies!

I didn't have time to freak out about this, so I didn't. It's wedding day, and I had to come up with a plan.

 I had several different options:

1. I could just leave the contacts in, be in pain and misery all day, and walk around with something that looked like an infectious disease;
2. I could wear glasses;
3. I could take the contacts out, take some allergy medicine, see how I felt in after a while, then try to put the contacts back in.

I decided on option 3. This was tricky, because there was a huge chance that it wouldn't work. I think it's also important to note that I've never, ever had a problem like this before.

Everyone who knows me well knows how much I love it when unexpected things happen to me. In the words of my dog - Snort.

There was a list of things I was worried about this weekend, and my eyes were nowhere near the top of the list. In fact, they weren't even on the list.

Oh, life.

I took some medicine right after 7 a.m. Saturday. I noticed a difference a within a few minutes, so I took some more allergy medicine.

By 8:30 a.m., I sat down nervously in front of my mirror. I accepted the fact that I might have to wear glasses. First world problem, I thought. Who cares?

When I looked in the mirror, I was pleasantly surprised. The redness wasn't completely gone, but it no longer looked like someone punched me in the eyeballs.

I gave it 15 more minutes, and then put my contacts in. I got them both in on the first try, and neither eye really stung that much.

My plan actually worked! I wore the contacts all day, was not in any pain, and looked kind of normal and not like I lost a bet.

Words of advice for anyone with allergies: Don't skip your allergy shot.

Oh well. Some life lessons need to be learned first hand.

(I did not take a photo of my red eyes. Instead, here are my awesome nails. Glitter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment