Friday, May 30, 2014

An important note

Good morning!

I'm bringing this post to you with glittery nails and a smile on my face.

It's wedding weekend! Not my wedding weekend, but whatever, it's wedding weekend nonetheless.

This post will not be about weddings, though. It's about something else that's important and something that has been years in the making.

This morning I made my second to last car payment.

You guys, we're on the home stretch. This is a big deal!

I bought my recent car, a Toyota, a few months after I paid my old car off. Said old car wasn't very reliable.

My old car broke down the day I moved to college. To this day, I still can't stop at the gas station where I spent three hours waiting for a tow truck (and crying). And if I'm driving with other people through that small town in Kansas, I ask them to please not stop there.

I still can't handle it.

After college, the air conditioner broke on my old car. My first summer after college was spent commuting to a neighboring town where my first grown up job was.

When I got off work every weeknight, I'd go to a convenience station, buy a cup of ice, go back to my car, dump the ice in a small towel, then put the towel on my head for the drive home.

That was my air conditioner.

I still view that summer as punishment for all the stupid stuff I did in college. It really, really sucked.

A year later, the air conditioner in that car stopped working again. My parents told me to come back to my hometown that weekend. I did, and they had pretty much cherry-picked my new car for me.

I bought it that day.

It was hotter than sin outside, and I drove up to the car dealership with my windows rolled down. The salesmen made a comment about the AC not working.

Shut up, sales guy. Just shut up and give me my new car.

My new car isn't new anymore. It needs some work after I pay if off, some dings and scratches probably need to get fixed, I need to upgrade my tunes so I can play iThings in the car, and some other things need fixed and replaced.

But those things can wait.

You guys, my car is almost paid off! I never thought I'd see that day. This is a big deal to me.

Hooray!

1 comment: