Monday, March 3, 2014

Keep moving.

My policy for driving in the snow is a lot like my policy for falling down. No matter what happens, you have to keep moving. 

When driving in the snow and slush, the only thing I want is to not get stuck. Most of the time I want to keep going forward, but there are times when going sideways is acceptable.

The point is you can’t stay where you are – you have to keep moving and get to your destination.

A Google image of snow. 
I’ve had plenty of time to think about this. According to my Dad, we just received our 20th snow of the season (that data is not scientific, though). Driving in it and being in it is not my cup of tea.

I lived in cities away from my family for a lot of my adult life. When I lived away I couldn’t rely on family members to help me dig my car out if I got stuck. I knew that I had to put a shovel in my trunk, drive carefully, and hope for the best.

Getting stuck is not an option.

I tested my ‘keep moving’ theory when I decided to walk through snow-covered grass yesterday. I stepped in a hole and tripped. I'm happy to report that I didn't hurt myself and my ego wasn't even damaged that much.

I didn’t miss a beat. Sure, half of my body was covered in snow and it was obvious I fell, but hey. Sometimes you just have to keep moving to get where you want to go.

How gracefully you got there doesn’t really matter in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment