Tuesday, March 8, 2022

What’s the matter with Kansas?


This is a short story.

On the way back to my new town on Sunday, I encountered some snow. First there was a little bit of it, and then a bit more, and then it was total pandemonium.

It took me two hours to go 50 miles and I saw 38 cars, trucks and semis in the ditch.

For much of the trip, I was the lead car in our group of cars going east. I was the pace car, basically. 

That means that the huge line of cars behind me were at my mercy on the totally snow-packed interstate. At times, I went 20 mph, as did the probably mile-long line of cars behind me.

I did not feel bad, and no one honked or tried to pass me. They couldn’t.

In broad daylight, this situation was not that scary. My dogs slept through it.

I kept telling myself that the most important thing is to keep moving forward. Even at 20 mph, forward is still forward.

And, with me in charge, no one is getting a speeding ticket and our gas mileage is off the charts good. 🤷‍♀️

I made it home fine, an hour longer than it usually takes me. 

My poor dogs looked totally confused when I opened the car door at my place. 

The Pugs: “Snow? When did that happen?”

Me: “When I spent two hours driving you through a life-threatening situation when you were snoring, PUGS.”

No comments:

Post a Comment