Thursday, January 13, 2022

I'm working on myself before I find you


People ask me why I do things alone

Plan a trip across the country out of the blue

I tell them because I want to, but the truth is

I’m working on myself before I find you

 

Road trips, airports, layovers and subways

A cute coat for a big city, a glittery shoe

I’m wandering all around the country

to make sure I like myself before I meet you

 

I’ll do yoga, journal, meditate and write

I’ll buy a house and move on my own

I’ll go to lunch and travel with friends, and if they don’t

want to go, then I’ll do these things alone

 

I’m working on myself before I find you

I need to make sure I’m good company

I don’t mind standing on my own two feet

before I find someone else to accompany

 

I’ll park a few block away

from a bookstore in the rain

I’ll people watch on the street

and I’ll wonder about their pain

 

I’ll spend hours picking out what I want

Thumb through the stacks, getting a feel for what I like

I think books are like relationships

In that no two are ever alike

 

I’m working on myself before I meet you

Let the rain drops hit my skin before I go inside

I don’t need an umbrella, I don’t run from the bad things in life

I want to feel this and I don’t want to hide

 

I’m making sure I like myself

I’m cautious of who I trust

I need deep conversations – philosophy, arts, and science

And if I don’t find that, then I need to adjust

 

I’m working on finding myself before I find you

My patience, my shopping, my sense of wonder

I know you’re out there somewhere – to talk to, lean on

and make love to under the thunder

 

Rain drops on the roof

Melodic and peaceful

I’ll be able to hear you breathing

Rhythmic and beautiful

 

I’m working on finding this

But I have to like myself first

My kind of love is instant and pure

and love shouldn’t feel like it’s rehearsed

 

I’m working on myself

before I meet you

In hopes that someday

Someone will love me, too

 

Love is patient, love is kind

It does not envy, it does not boast

The kind of love that’s in the Bible

Is what I want the most

No comments:

Post a Comment