Sunday, November 7, 2021

The Stranger in the Lifeboat

 I want to take a minute to talk about my new favorite book of all time.

The Stranger in the Lifeboat is officially my favorite book of all time. My favorite author, Mitch Albom, just released it earlier this week. In my opinion, he completely outdid himself.

I laughed. I cried. I smiled and laughed.

This book is perfect, and it found me in the perfect time in my life.

I won't spoil anything, but here's the premise of the book: There's a $200 million yacht in the ocean, and in the middle of the night, it sinks. A few strangers find themselves on a lifeboat, and they don't see any other ships or airplanes looking for them.

On the third day at sea, they see a man in the ocean. The man swims up to their lifeboat, and they pull him aboard.  This man has only the clothes on his back and looks like a normal, average man.

One of the people on the lifeboat says, "Thank the Lord we found you." 

The man says in response: "I am the Lord."

People on the boat are not immediately impressed. They think the man hit his head or is dehydrated. But the guy, who looks completely normal, insists that he is the Lord. Jesus. God.

The people on the lifeboat ask him why he swam up to their boat.

The Lord responds: Because you called for me.

(Monica's note: What the what?!?!?)

It turns out that the Lord is there to save them, but in order to do so, everyone on the lifeboat has to believe Him and believe in Him.

So here's the existential question: Would you believe him? 

Would you believe him if your life depended on it?

This is the most amazing book I've ever read. 

---

I'll give you one quote: "When someone dies, people always ask, 'Why did God take them?' A better question would be 'Why did God give them to us?' What did we do to deserve their love, their joy, their sweet moments we shared?"

Words cannot describe how much I love this book.

Love. Love. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment