Wednesday, October 27, 2021

I was meant for someone.

I feel like I should write one more blog post on the Denver concert. 

I've had pit tickets for festival shows before, but never a full tour show. Ashley from Church (read previous blog post) told me I was in for a treat when I told her this.

Usually, during his concerts, Eric gives fans a break between sets. We get a 20-minute intermission to use the restroom, buy a drink, or take a seat (if you have seat tickets).

In Denver, he did not give us an intermission. At one point, he told the crowd that they blew right through intermission and decided to keep playing.

I heard a guy in the pit behind me yell: "Oh my God, he's not going to give us a break, is he? He's going to kill us!"

I've said this several times, but that day was probably the best day of my life.

It's incredible to see a concert that close. I have no idea how many people that place holds, but a quick Google search suggestions it can hold up to 20,000 people for concerts.

Bring front row with 20,000 people around you is not a bad way to spend a Friday night.

I'm going to phrase the next sentence very carefully, and I'm going to apply it to all members of the band, including men and women. Here's the sentence: It's incredible to see how music impacts their entire body.

Head to toe, from the main singer to the back up singer to all of the guitar players, they all drip music from head to toe. And the thing is, it's obvious when you're that close to them.

Some people play music. Some people are music. 

These people are music. 

---

I don't know what else to say, other than it was perfection from start to finish.

My favorite moment, other than holding hands and crying with a total stranger, came when EC started playing a song called Mistress Named Music right in front of us.

The Mistress moment is my favorite part of every concert (doesn't happen at every show, so it's a treat when it does happen). During that song, he goes off and chases different songs, meaning he plays a few cover songs, and then goes back to Mistress Named Music at the end.

In Denver, he did a Brooks and Dunn song, the Luckenbach, Texas song, some Travis Tritt, I Feel Like Makin' Love, Stand By Me, and my personal favorite, a Jason Isbell song called Cover Me Up (Morgan Wallen also did a damn good job on that song).

Um, that's one of my favorite Jason Isbell songs. And my favorite artist sang it right in front of me, probably like seven feet away from me? 

It was perfect. 

The lyrics that choked me up during that song live: I was meant for someone.

I needed that moment in my life, at that specific moment in my life.

It was perfect.

---

A heart on the run keeps a hand on the gun you can't trust anyone

I was so sure what I needed was more tried to shoot out the sun

Days when we raged, we flew off the page such damage was done

But I made it through, cause somebody knew I was meant for someone


So girl, leave your boots by the bed we ain't leaving this room

Till someone needs medical help or the magnolias bloom

It's cold in this house and I ain't going out to chop wood

So cover me up and know you're enough to use me for good

 


No comments:

Post a Comment