Friday, August 23, 2019

This is a nightmare.

A couple of weeks ago, my phone rang.

On the other end was best friend, wanting to know if I'd watch her kids so her and her husband could have a date night for our town's annual celebration.

Of course, I said.

She has two kids that are adorable. Her 3-year-old daughter, A, is the same age as one of my nieces, and I get a huge kick out of hanging out with her.

Once her Mommy and Daddy left, we started talking about best friends. Little A told me about her best friend in school. Then I explained to her that her Mommy and I have known each other since we were little girls.

Little A was interested in that conversation.

"Do you love my Mommy?"

Well of course I do, I told her. I've known your Mommy for a really long time. We grew up together and played together when we were little.



"Do you love my Daddy?"

I wasn't expecting this question, so I tried to play it off as cool as I possibly could. Of course I love your Daddy. He makes your Mommy really happy.

Little A would not let go of this conversation.

"You love my Daddy?"

Well, little girl, yes. He takes care of your Mommy, you and your little brother.

"How much do you love my Daddy?"

She asked various forms of this question to me about 82 times that night. This warranted an immediate text message to her Mommy, warning her that my love for her husband might be taken out of context from a 3-year-old.

In my head, I'm sitting there thinking to myself that this adorable little girl is going to go to school on Monday and tell everyone that a woman came over to her house, without her Mommy there, and told her how much she loved her Daddy.

This is a nightmare.

And then A's little brother started to fuss in his crib. I turned on the baby monitor, only to discover a child with arms and legs, but no head showing on the screen.

I turned on the flashlight app on my phone and peeked in his room, and my only goal was to make sure the child still had a head.

I wish I was kidding.

The baby gave me a weird look, I patted him on the back and told him it was okay, then shut the door.

A few days later, my friend told me that her daughter overheard a conversation in their house. Her husband was going out of town for work, and little A had a question for them. She wanted to know if her Daddy was going out of town "with Monica?"

I'm glad I made a lasting impression on her. But secretly I'm just really just happy that both kids have heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment