Thursday, May 24, 2018

Pugfest!

When I adopted my Penny seven years ago, she decided to chew on a cord that was plugged in.

When I took her to the vet that morning, the doctor told me that Pugs are the only breed of dog who have their own festival.

Pugfest is in Milwaukee every year, he said.

Penny survived eating electricity and is now a grumpy, old, seasoned and experienced Pug. She's the Pug leader at my house.

And ever since that conversation with that veterinarian, I've wanted to go to Pugfest.


A few months ago, a rescue organization I adopted another Pug from sent out a Facebook message, asking for volunteers to help with Pugfest.

Pugfest! Of course I want to go!

I can't even describe how amazing it was.

Things I will note, though:

• My favorite Pug names were Waffles, Toast and Alfredo.

• I asked the names and ages of all the Pugs who came to my part of the booth. Popular names included Luna, Daisy, Lilly, Pugsley, Mugsey, and Duke.

• Petunia was also a cute name.

• The owner of Waffles expressed regret that her Pug didn't meet Toast at the event. I concur.

• People came up to me and told me their Pug has an Instagram account. Because of course he does.

• I did not meet another Penny, Raven or Pickles, which makes me happy. (I also might lurk the /namenerds subreddit and favor unique names.)

• I've never experienced such heaven in my life.

• My goal was to hug all the Pugs. I cuddled, petted and complimented every single one I met.

I remember several conversations I've had with my Mom in the past. Something about when you have kids, you want them to grow up to be independent. You want them to contribute something worthwhile to society.

The money raised at Pugfest goes toward helping Pug rescues.

I hope I contributed some small, small part to a not-for-profit group. I think it was a good use of my time.

The Kansas Pugfest delegation in Milwaukee.

That's a good lookin' Pug.

I waved hi to Chicago as we drove past it.
  
Baby Pug! Notice the crowd around him. 

"My dog has an Instagram account." Of course he does.

Fortune teller Pug at our booth!

He barked at the Pug statues and I laughed.

Do I smell beef jerky?



No comments:

Post a Comment