Thursday, April 13, 2017

Part 5: It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

I cheated the week before the concert and Googled the setlist.

I immediately regretted it, and tried to un-remember everything that I read. I really wanted the opening song to be a surprise. Maybe Mr. Misunderstood? How do you not open a concert with that song? It'd be perfect, I thought!

On Friday night, as it got closer to 8:30 p.m., the arena got a little darker and a little louder with each passing minute.

And then, at 8:30 p.m. on the dot, everything got pitch black.

Oh my God, this is happening!

There was one single spotlight on stage. Then, the music started, with something like 12,000 people focused on that empty spotlight.

Then, we heard that voice.

I heard there was a secret chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
Well it goes like this: the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall and the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

OH MY GOD, HE'S OPENING THE CONCERT WITH HALLELUJAH!

For the entire song, the spotlight was empty. All you heard was Eric Chruch's voice, with that raspy southern twang that pronounces the word "baffled" so weird, I can't mimic it.

I stood on my tippy toes, singing my favorite parts of the song.

Maybe there's a God above
All I've ever learned from love
Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you
And it's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not someone who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah


When the song ended, he finally stepped into the spotlight.

It was probably the best concert intro I've ever seen.

A country rock and roll concert that includes the song Hallelujah?

Brilliant.


No comments:

Post a Comment