Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Part 3: You crossed the line, you get what you get

One of my favorite things about Eric Church is that his music isn't all happy with rainbows and unicorns shining out of everyone's butt (like Thomas Rhett).

I never really gave the song Knives of New Orleans a chance. I skipped over it on the record. But in Wichita, my Mom made me listen to it.

We both realized that in this song, he kills someone. Say what?

When I got home from the concert, I laid in my bed with my headphones on and listened to this song over and over.

In the song, he kills his girlfriend by drowning her in Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans. He doesn't regret it, either.

I did what I did
I have no regrets
When you crossed the line
You get what you get

My Mom and I noticed that he seems to have been through some shit in his life. While it's not okay to kill someone in real life, it's perfectly all right to kill them off in a song.

It turns out that yes, you can love someone and want to kill them at the same time. If I ever write a book, I have a few characters already named that I will fictitiously kill off.

Oh, Eric. We've all been there.

In the last 30 minutes
I've gone from a person of interest
to a full-blown manhunt underway 

I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment