Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Stories will be told.

Two things of note happened yesterday. They both involve a pretty cool toddler.

I walked into my Mom and Dad's house yesterday and sat down on the floor. My little curly-haired niece came up to me and sat in my lap, facing me. My winter coat has all kinds of zippers and buttons, and said curly-haired child started playing with them.

She said something to me, but I couldn't quite understand her. I asked her what she wanted. I thought she said "Keys."

Oh, I thought. She's looking for my car keys in my coat. I took my keys out of my pocket and gave them to her.

But that's not what she wanted. She repeated her request again.

"Cheese."

My almost 3-year-old curly-haired niece was looking for cheese, and she was looking for cheese in my winter coat.

I'm sorry, child, but I do not keep cheese in my coat.

But maybe I should?

-----

That same day, we were sitting around the kitchen table. The following conversation happened.

Grandma: Curly-haired child, what did you hear outside this morning? You heard it, but you didn't see it. Tell Aunt Monica what you heard.

Curly-haired child stops what she's doing, then gives me that look she gives me when she's thinking hard about something. Her head tilts to one side, and she squints her eyes for a minute.

"Eh," she says, then she thinks some more.

Her answer: "The moon."

At this point, I'm trying really, really hard to keep my composure. My little niece was thinking really hard for the answer to Grandma's question. But she also just told me she heard the moon, which makes me want to literally fall on the floor and laugh until I can't laugh anymore. I kept a straight face and did not laugh, which I'm very proud of myself for.

Grandma: No, you heard something outside. What did you hear?

I decided to throw her a bone and help her out.

Me: A helicopter?

Curly-haired child: Airplane!

Me: Was the airplane going fast or slow?

Curly-haired child: Slow.

Me: Okay.

Curly-haired child is brilliant and beautiful, and obviously takes after her aunt.




No comments:

Post a Comment