Monday, November 7, 2016

Stuff you need vs. stuff you don't need

My kitchen and my life are slowly looking like normal again.

Last night, I moved my jars of sugar, flour, and brown sugar to the kitchen counter top. They had been sitting on a chair in my dining room for the past week.

The curtains were actually hung in the kitchen, instead of sitting on my couch.

The cabinet doors are not on yet. It turns out, paint doesn't dry particularly fast on days when it's 50 degrees out, 80 percent humidity and rainy.

That means that for the next few days, I will be able to see every single thing in my cabinets. My silverware, wooden spoons and other utensils are sitting in a cardboard box in the middle of my kitchen.

But let's talk about the glass jars that I've collected over the past year.

I knew I had a glass jar hoarding problem, but I didn't realize how bad it was until this week.

I had two large grocery bags full of glass jars, only I didn't have them stored in one spot. They were in a cabinet here, a cabinet there, and underneath the sink. Some were in the bathroom.

I thought of using them as center pieces. For what exactly, I'm not sure. But they were pretty! They were interesting shapes! And, I was going to re-use them and change the planet by not throwing them away!

I thought I'd get on Pinterest and find a use for them.

I'm happy to report that I did find a use for them. Yesterday, I took them to the recycling center.

I do not need two grocery bags full of empty glass jars. What I do need is more kitchen storage space and less junk.

That space will probably be used for something more practical, like storing canning jars that I can actually use.

Tomorrow night's low is 33. I've got tomatoes to pick, freeze, and can eventually.

Having however many empty glass jars from store bought products will not help me can. What will help me is watching an episode of Hoarders and realizing that I have to get my life together.

(Ps, all is well and normal in the stomach/colon/intestines front. I downed pizza last night for dinner. I might have even had a piece for breakfast this morning. I love food. Not being able to eat solid food is not a problem I want to ever have in my life again.)

I do need to go through my kitchen and find more items to donate...like the cat butt keyring holder I took off my kitchen cabinets.

It didn't make the cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment