Sunday, August 14, 2016

Stupid spleen

I'm of the belief that going through uncertainty regarding a medical problem is just about the worst feeling there is.

Over the past few months, I've noticed I've been getting sick immediately after I eat. I paid attention to what I ate, and I narrowed it down to bread.

Maybe it's a gluten problem?

I made a doctor's appointment last week. I had a couple of things I wanted to talk to her about.

Maybe it's an ulcer, she told me. Maybe it's a gluten thing. We don't know unless we test for it.

Next, she laid me down on the table and started poking around. I had this done in May, and it was uneventful.

When I had this done last week, I wanted to kick someone in the face when she pressed on the area near my spleen.

Well, that's a problem, she said.

The stomach is filled with all kinds of things that can go awry, in my mind, like the appendix and gallbladder. When I have stomach pain, I take it pretty seriously and get it checked out.

I don't need any organs exploding in my body.

I'm getting more tests done. My health care provider, whom I respect and trust, told me to not jump to any conclusions until those test results come back.

Ha, ha. Does she know who she's talking to?

When I left her office, I immediately Googled 'Can you live without a spleen.'

Because my mind automatically thinks of surgery and organ removal when I have a little bit of pain here and there.

Stupid spleen.


No comments:

Post a Comment