Monday, August 1, 2016

Heaven & Hell

I never published this post from a while back. Here you go, folks.

-----

A friend shared a Facebook memory today, which made me think of this story.

Two years ago, around this time, I flew to South Carolina for a conference. It was the first time I had ever flown alone, and I flew into the Atlanta airport at noon.

A person with an anxiety problem flew into the busiest airport in the country at noon. Ha, ha.

The amount of people there was overwhelming.

Anyway, I was thinking of that trip this weekend. The thing I remember the most is the clouds from Atlanta to South Carolina, which was a 22-minute flight.

They looked like giant cotton balls exploded. That, combined with the rolling green hills below, made me think that that's what heaven will look like.

The thing about that week, though, is that I was in a lot of pain. I had a dry socket that week. If you don't know what that is, imagine praying for the sweet release of death for days. Dying would feel better than a dry socket.

I had already bought my plane tickets for that South Carolina trip, so I figured offing myself wouldn't be worth it. After a very bad, awful weekend praying for death, a trip that looked like heaven was very, very welcomed.

My Dad flew this week, and sent me the picture below. The South Carolina clouds were way better than these puny little clouds, but you get an idea of what it looks like.

Borrowed from my Dad, who flew this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment