Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Memories

I couldn't tell you what year it was. It was more than 10 years ago, I know that. Maybe I was just finishing high school, or just starting college?

Anyway, I laugh at this memory every year on the Fourth of July.

When I was living at my Mom and Dad's house, a dog came into our garage because she was scared of the fireworks.

I remember her being a medium sized dog, maybe a Sheltie. She was cute, and we could tell that her owner was a woman.

She clinged to me that night, and I let her.

The dog had vet tags, but no other identification on who she belonged to. The vet's office was closed, as it was a holiday, so my Mom and I decided to keep her overnight and try to find her owners the next day.

The dog slept in bed with me that night.

We did find her owners the next day. The owner, a woman, said she spent the whole night looking for her dog.

I think it's funny, in a way. The dog ran away from home, and got to sleep in a comfy bed next to a warm body.

If you're a dog and you're going to run away, you better run away to a Springer house.

I think about that dog around this time every year. If one of my dogs ever runs away (Pickles does this very, very often, but she always comes back) I hope they run away to a house as compassionate about animals as the house I grew up in.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete