Friday, December 4, 2015

I'm a believer.

I remember a while ago, I was in Nebraska with my boss. After a long day, we were exhausted and we went and got something to eat.

Okay, I'm lying. I don't remember what we were doing that day, and I don't even remember the point of the trip. But what I do remember is the waiter/restaurant worker commenting on the FitBit my boss was wearing.

A conversation ensued, either on that trip or on some other trip (I have a great memory) and my boss told me about the joys of wearing a FitBit.

It tracks your steps, he told me.

I didn't understand. It it really that important? Can't you just keep track of how much you work out, and keep healthy that way?

I Googled 'Workout graphics.' Ha, ha.

Fast forward to last weekend, and there's a FitBit sitting on my mom's kitchen table unopened.

I offered to buy it from her. A few dollars later, I charged it, slapped it on my wrist and I was good to go.


In Octoberish, I started walking every day. I downloaded the FitBit app on my phone. After two months of having bronchitis and hurting every time I moved, it felt good to walk.

When I lost the daylight hours to walk, I started working out in the gym again, after a year hiatus. Okay, I lied again. It's been more like 1.5 years since I regularly went to the gym.

Since Oct. 1, I've lost 12 pounds. I do a mediocre job of counting my calories, so I could lose more if I had the patience to log every single thing that goes into my mouth.

But I'm happy with the results. I have a pair of fancy pants work pants that I noticed were really, really loose the other day. They used to be tight on me, so much so that I didn't really like wearing them.

Huzzah!

I can burn more calories at the gym in the same amount of time, too. Last night, I was on the elliptical and burned 357 calories. Two months ago, the number of calories I burned in the same amount of time was 225.

So, that's happy news.



Last night, after I worked out I still had 2,000 steps to walk before I hit my 10,000 steps goal. I needed a few things from the store that rhymes with sharmart, so I parked at the other end of the parking lot.

I browsed past the baby section, because, you know, babies! Clothes! Hats! Socks!

After I was finished shopping, I walked around the store some more. You have to get your steps in, I told myself, so I took one for the team and went back to the baby section.

Did I mention...babies!!!!!

So there you have it. I actually really like that thing on my wrist. I thought it was stupid at first, but I've been converted.

I'm a believer.


No comments:

Post a Comment