Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Major life problems

The house I'm in the process of buying is more than 100 years old.

It's 115 years old, to be exact.

I love some things about it, and other things I want to change immediately.

The thing, though, is that I can't make all of the changes right away. Sure, I can tear off wallpaper and rip up cat carpet, but the rest of the changes are likely going to happen gradually over time.

In case you do not know me very well, I have a pretty severe case of No Patience. I don't want to wait to make changes, I want them to happen now.

Now.

NOW!

(Please note, I don't even own the thing yet, and I'm already thinking this.)

Speaking of owning the thing, I went to the bank today. This is the second time I've filled out house paperwork, and as with a lot of other things in life, it's a lot less scary the second time around.

I signed papers for about 30 minutes today and had to promise the bank that I'm not a terrorist (true story).

Now that the process is moving forward, I can start thinking about my major life problem, which is the point of this here blog post.

The house is old and beautiful. It has beautiful wood trim and other woodwork in the house. My major life problem comes in here: All the cool kid designs nowadays call for white trim.

I'm not going to paint beautiful old trim white.

You don't paint wood, people! You just don't.

My challenge is making the house cute, like a young(ish) person lives there, and not like grandma lives there (no offense to grandmas).

How do you make the woodwork pop, in a good way, without it looking old?

Hmm.

I like blue and green paint for some of the smaller rooms. But for the main living areas?

Who knows.

When I watch the home renovation shows on television, I turn my nose up at all of the rooms and houses with white trim.

I've taken to Pinterest to solve my major life problem. I created a board specifically for paint colors that go with wood trim, and another board for photos of pretty rooms in old houses.

Pinterest is amazing, people.

Here are some pins I like so far.

I LOVE THIS COLOR!





No comments:

Post a Comment