Friday, September 5, 2014

Kansas girl tries southern food, hilarity ensues.

I want to apologize in advance for the ignorance of this post.

Last night we went to a fancy pants reception at a museum. 

It was beautiful, wonderful, and I had a great time.

The food was also beautiful, the kind of food you eat with a tiny fancy fork wearing fancy pants clothes.

Please note that I do not fit into the crowd of people who do this.

But it was fun!

The food, though, was not something I'm used to. There was shrimp, stuff in a shell, some type of fish on a waffle. It was all southern food.

I'm from Kansas. I eat things with four legs, not things that swim.

I did try one of everything. At least the one shrimp I ate didn't have eyes and wasn't looking at me. That's a plus.

Somebody asked me if I was eating an oyster. I looked at her, thought about it for a second, then said: "I'm from Kansas. I don't know what I'm eating."

Everyone laughed. Honesty is usually the best policy.

The real meal afterwards was this.


That's a big bowl of watermelon sorbet with sprinkles and chocolate candy.

I have no regrets.

Eating on the road is tough. I'm lactose intolerant, allergic to cinnamon and have a whole slew of other issues when it comes to eating food.

My main requirement for food is that it walks, not swims. 

You can take the girl out of Kansas, but you can't take Kansas out of the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment