Friday, August 22, 2014

Losing my mind and my car keys.

I fiercely protect my car keys when I travel out of town in my personal car.

I don't have a spare set. Every single time I leave my car and put my keys in my purse, I double check and triple check that they're there. I have my car and house keys on a big key chain that I can spot easily.

That being said, I do a terrible job of keeping track of my company car keys during business trips.

It started on Monday night. By the time I got back to my hotel room to eat dinner and unwind, it was around 8:30 p.m.

I sleep terrible in hotel rooms. At 4 a.m., I decided that three(ish) hours of sleep was enough to function and that I was going to go about my day.

I pulled out my phone and Googled local restaurants to see if they were open for breakfast.

No dice. The world is still sleeping at 4 a.m.

I waited until 6 a.m. to go get breakfast. I got ready, looked presentable, then went to grab my car keys.

Wait. There's my hotel room card, there's my jewelry, there's my cell phone.

Where are my car keys?

I tore the hotel room up looking for them. I looked in the trash cans, in my luggage, on every surface of the hotel room, in the bathroom.

They were nowhere to be found.

I even went outside near the car, looked on the ground to see if I dropped them on Monday night, and then got down on my hands and knees to look under the car.

They had magically disappeared.

I frantically called the front desk to see if anybody had found a pair of keys. They said no, but they were very nice and offered to help me look for them. I declined.

I went back to my hotel room to look again. I finally found the keys at 6:50 a.m., after almost an hour of looking.

Where were they, you ask? They were right where I left them, the same spot I searched frantically multiple times.

From now on when I go on business trips, the company car keys will be attached to my bulky personal keys.

I would lose my brain if it weren't in my head, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment