Thursday, July 24, 2014

Where would I be without my books?

Picture this: A recent college graduate is finally living in her first grown up apartment.

It's late, dark outside, and the town is currently in a pretty severe thunderstorm. Thunder cracks in the distance, lightning dances in the sky, and rain is pouring down.

The book I was reading at the time was one of Dan Brown's books. I can't tell you which one, because they're all amazing and I've enjoyed them all.

Anyway, there's a scene in the book where the main character (Oh, Robert Langdon, I miss you) is getting chased around a huge dark room by a bad guy.

There's a cell phone, of course, that goes off, so Robert chucks it across the room so the bad guy can't come after the light of the phone.

It's a stressful scene involving someone wanting to kill my beloved Robert Langdon.

Can you imagine how scary that would be? To be in a huge room with no lights, tippy-toeing your way around, trying not to breathe too loud because if you do, you'd die?

While reading that scene, a higher power decided to mess with me that night and my apartment lost electricity.

That's right, I was reading about an attempted murder happening in the dark while the lights went off in my apartment.

I can count the number of times I've truly been scared in my life on one hand, and that was one of them.



I'm telling you this because I can across a list on Buzzfeed appropriately titled "29 Reasons Reading Will Ruin Your Life."

It's funny. And kind of true.

No. 13: When you read a monumental moment in a book (death scene, break up, ect) and you're freaking out but NO ONE UNDERSTANDS.

My power going out story is one of my favorite stories to tell, but I don't think anyone can really relate to how scary it was.

I thought I was a goner.

Ha, ha.

No. 27: When people have the nerve to say that movies are better?  You're not just wrong, you're stupid.

Link from Buzzfeed: 29 Reasons Reading Will Ruin Your Life

2 comments:

  1. No. 1 all the way. Use those words and people will look at you strangely. Trust me on that one.

    ReplyDelete