Saturday, June 14, 2014

Baby Crafts

The babies and I had fun on Friday night creating their Father's Day presents for their Daddy and Grandpa.

It started with a plan that my newly-married friend thought up: Do something that involves paint and baby feet for Father's Day.

Sounds fun, let's do it!

The fun technically started on Thursday night, when I bought all the supplies and did a test run to see how messy it would be.

I tested out everything outside. The first step to any baby craft project, of course, is to make sure the Pug approves.

Dat lip.
Pug on a picnic table.

Penny didn't have a problem with it, and I discovered that it wasn't too messy and the paint dried pretty fast.

The original plan I had involved baby handprints, too, but that plan quickly changed.

Baby hand prints don't work out so well when the babies for four months old and have their hands in a fist all the time. I turned to Plan B and settled on baby footprints instead.

First, I painted their little feet with black tempera paint (washable paint, people, no babies were harmed in making of this). Then, not very gracefully, I leaned them over onto the kitchen table, and tried to press their feet onto scrapbook paper.

The first one didn't turn out so hot, but there's only so much you can do when babies are that little. I did two sets of footprints for each baby, then called it good.

Baby feet!

They might have gotten paint all over their legs and shirts, too, but oh well.

The final product turned out really well, I think.

I thought the babies would be excited about it - I thought there'd be some kind of reaction. They didn't really care what I was doing to them, and they both farted on me a few times during this project.

Oh, babies.

Side story: When you go to a certain craft store the day before Father's Day and hope and wish that the frames you want will be half off, they most certainly will not be half off.

I justified using a 40 percent coupon on one of them, but I wasn't going to pay full price for the other one. Instead, I browsed the clearance section and found a the perfect sized frame for $5.

Go me, I just saved $20! Or so I thought.

It turns out that when you add in a matt board, a back, glass, and probably some other stuff, that $5 frame turns into a really expensive project

It would have been cheaper to buy the frame already made.

While I worked in that craft store for a few years in high school and college, I never worked in the framing department.

Oops.

Anyway, that was my stupid tax for the week.

I think the baby feet project turned out pretty cool. My thing lately is giving gifts that money can't buy. Even though there was a price tag attached to this, you can't buy baby paint footprints anywhere.

And if you want to, well, you have problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment