Wednesday, May 7, 2014

On expanding my horizons

I'm going to follow a post about working out with a post about food.

Ha, ha.

I had the itch to experiment with recipes today. After work, I looked at Pinterest, and decided to try three new(ish) things. I cooked two of them tonight, and I'll probably make the last one tomorrow night.

First of all, before I started cooking I downed a bowl of fruit first. If I could eat fruit every day for the rest of my life, I would.

But there's more to life than fruit, and I need to expand my horizons. Hmm. I saw a recipe on Pinterest that involved quesadillas made with feta cheese and spinach. Sounds yummy!

I'm kind of a carnivore, so I added chicken that I cooked with a liberal amount of pepper, a little salt, and some random spices from the cabinet. I also added some mozzarella cheese to the feta, chopped up a handful of spinach, then threw all of that stuff between two taco shells.

Pair that with lime and cilantro salsa, and ladies and gents? We have a total winner right here.

A plus is that they're so big, I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Hooray.

The second thing I tried was mozzarella sticks. This involves two ingredients, string cheese and egg roll wrappers.

I've made these before, and I was craving them again. After cooking them on the stove, they get nice and brown with a good crunch on the outside and gooey cheese on the inside.

The only downside to these is that they're very, very dry. I bought a new type of marinara sauce and was hugely disappointed at how watery it was.

Side note: What is marinara sauce, exactly? Is it different than pizza sauce? How about spaghetti sauce? And what was that vodka sauce on the store shelf? I mean, it's vodka, and that has to be good, right?

This cooking stuff is confusing.

Regardless, it makes me wonder if I can make my own sauce instead of buying something that sucks in the store.

That recipe was ho-hum.

I'm still impressed by my quesadillas, though. At least I got that right.

Tomorrow night, or whenever I get to it, I'm going to try pepperoni roll ups. Expect a report about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment