Thursday, March 13, 2014

Depressing news day.

Today is depressing news Thursday.

Two things have been on my mind today:

1. Two people were killed and more than 20 others were injured at SXSW after a driver plowed into a crowd this morning: http://tinyurl.com/mo9bhmj

2. No one has any idea where the missing Malaysian plane is: http://tinyurl.com/qauzgss

I have a rant on how much broadcast journalism sucks regarding these stories. I'll save that for later. In the meantime, I've found that Reddit is a pretty good source for the latest news (plus quips and quotes from users).

For the record, I was in Kansas sleeping in my own bed when this happened (but thanks to everyone who checked to see if I was okay). A couple of things that people have said about SXSW on Reddit stuck out to me:

"All it takes is a few (one) bad decision to completely ruin your life, and the lives of others."

"I think a lot about how one bad choice can have consequences the chooser never imagined."

I'm trying to type a sentence about how I can't imagine going through something like that, but it's just coming out as gibberish. That poor crowd. I can't imagine.

Regarding the missing plane - how much information has been reported as accurate, then retracted an hour later?

Something was found. No, wait a minute, it wasn't. A body was found. Wait, it wasn't on the plane. Someone saw a plane burning in the sky. Nope, they didn't. Oops, we didn't mean to release those images that may or may not have been of something large floating in the sea.

Really?

I can't imagine what those poor families must think if they're keeping up with all the developments (or non-developments). I also find it frightening that an entire plane full of people can disappear and six days later, no one has any idea what happened or where it is.

To top off the depressing news that I've read today, the man who woke up in a body bag two weeks ago died today: http://tinyurl.com/kh2gvmg.

I'm going to go think of sunshine, rainbows and bunnies now.

No comments:

Post a Comment