Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Meet me at midnight

I've spent about a week with Midnights now, and I am head over heels in love with it.

I've been a little bit of a Taylor Swift fan in the past, but this is the first time that I've considered myself a Swiftie. I loved Speak Now when it came out, but since then, I haven't listened to any of her albums from start to finish.

Until now.

Midnights, like I posted about on Facebook, sounds exactly like what being a woman in your 30s is like, particularly for those of us who have never been married and don't have kids. 

Thinking about your ex at midnight? We do that often. Cussing a lot? That happens, too. It's weird, but fuckin' beautiful? Nailed it, blondie. Falling in love again? Yes, that happens. Plus, sometimes there are dickhead guys. Um, everyone, blondie gave us the word 'dickhead' in a song, and I love her for it.

I am fan-girling over this album pretty hard. I love the lyrics and the sound. 

It's perfect.

I think Taylor Swift is one of the best songwriters out there, if not the best ever, hands down. Below are my favorite words of hers on Midnights.

Snow on the Beach and You're On Your Own, Kid are my favorite songs on Midnights. Each song made me cry the first time I heard them. These songs are the most beautiful things I've ever heard. 

Lavender Haze: I just want to stay in that Lavender Haze

Maroon: The lips I used to call home AND Sobbing with your head in your hands / Ain’t that the way shit always ends?

Anti Hero: I’ll stare directly at the sun, but never in the mirror

Snow On The Beach: And it’s like snow on the beach / Weird but fuckin’ beautiful

Life is emotionally abusive

Stars by the pocketful

I’ve never seen someone lit from within / blurring out my periphery

My smile is like I won a contest / and to hide that would be so dishonest

You’re On Your Own kid: Everything you lose is a step you take

Midnight Rain: A slow-motion, love potion / Jumping off things in the ocean

Question…?: She was on your mind with some dickhead guy

Vigilante Shit: Draw the cat eye strong enough to kill a man  AND Sometimes I wonder which one’ll be your last lie

Bejeweled: Sapphire tears on my face / Sadness became my whole sky / But some guy said my aura’s moonstone / Just ‘cause he was high

Labyrinth: I’ll be gettin’ over you my whole life AND You know how much I hate that everybody just expects me to bounce back / Just like that

Karma: Karma is a relaxing thought / Aren’t you envious that for you it’s not?

Sweet Nothing: And the voices that implore, “You should be doing more” / To you, I can admit that I’m just too soft for all of it

Mastermind: And a touch of a hand lit the fuse / Of a chain reaction of countermoves / To assess the equation of you / Checkmate, I couldn’t lose 

The Great War: Always remember / Uh-huh, the burning embers / I vowed now to fight anymore / If we survived the Great War

Bigger Than the Whole Sky: Every single thing I touch becomes sick with sadness

Paris: I’m so in love that I might stop breathing

High Infidelity: You know there’s many different ways that you can kill the one you love / The slowest way is never loving them enough

Glitch: In search of glorious happenings of happenstance on someone else’s playground

Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve: I regret you all the time

Dear Reader: No one sees when you lose when you’re playing solitare


No comments:

Post a Comment