Thursday, May 19, 2022

I'm learning to talk again

I've never been a huge Foo Fighters fan, but they've been growing on me this week.

In the store a few weeks ago, I saw Dave Grohl's book, The Storyteller, sitting on the shelf. I made a mental note of it, and then went on with my little life.

I kept thinking about that book, for whatever reason. Last week, I went back to that store and threw some books into my cart. 

It's perfect. 

Literally.

I love writing, and I especially love it when songwriters write about their passion. To me, it's magical to read. 

I'm not even close to being finished with the book, so you might get another 'Dave Grohl is a genius' blog post, or 12 more of them. Who knows.

Plus, yesterday I read a story online about how we bought a pit ticket to see Metallica in concert.

No backstage pass, no special treatment, and he didn't even take anybody with him. He showed up at a Metallica concert in the pit because he wanted to see them.

I like him a lot.

It's a perfect read for me at the perfect time in my life. I love good writing from normal people who aren't pretentious about their words or their life in general.

Here are my favorite quotes so far. 

---

On his daughter and her love of music: "It was clear that she had the gift. Now it was only a matter of time before she found the spark. That spark eventually became a wildfire."

-

"As I lay there staring at the ceiling, it dawned on me that maybe my guitar was the love of my life after all. Maybe I didn't need Sandi. Maybe my Silvertone could help me heal my wounded heart. Maybe I could write my way out of this mess. I was more determined than ever to make this rock and roll dream come true.

"This is perhaps the impetus behind every song that I have ever written...to guard my most vulnerable corners by using heartbreak as fuel. What could be more inspiring than the exposed nerves of a wounded heart? In a way, I cherish my numerous heartbreaks almost more than the actual love that preceded them, because the heartbreak has always proven to me that I can feel. 

"Trust me, the sweet sting of a love refused is powerful enough to send any scribe scrambling for pen and paper, aching to find beauty in the pain of being eighty-sixed by another. And more often than not, the result is good, because it's real, and it fucking hurts so bad." 

-

"This band, born from the heartbreak and tragedy of our broken past, was a celebration of love, and life, and the dedication to finding happiness in every next day. And now, more than ever, it represented healing and survival."

---

Walk

A million miles away
Your signal in the distance
To whom it may concern

I think I lost my way
Getting good at starting over
Every time that I return

I'm learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?

I'm learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?

Do you remember the days
We built these paper mountains
Then sat and watched them burn

I think I found my place
Can't you feel it growing stronger
Little conquerors

I'm learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?

I'm learning to talk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?
Now

For the very first time
Don't you pay no mind
Set me free again
You keep alive a moment at a time
But still inside a whisper to a riot
To sacrifice but knowing to survive
The first to climb another state of mind
I'm on my knees, I'm praying for a sign
Forever, whenever
I never wanna die
I never wanna die
I never wanna die
I'm on my knees
I never wanna die
I'm dancing on my grave
I'm running through the fight
Forever, whenever
I never wanna die
I never wanna leave
I never say goodbye
Forever, whenever
Forever, whenever

I'm learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?

I'm learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?

I'm learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough

I'm learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough

-Foo Fighters

No comments:

Post a Comment