Sunday, September 12, 2021

Flies in

There are a couple of topics that are on my mind that I haven't touched on yet.

The first one is creativity.

There's no way to say this with class, so I'm just going to throw it out there. It's really, really hard to be creative when you're homeless.

(How's that for a sentence I never thought I'd say out loud?)

Before I sold my house in my hometown, I had ways I could be creative if I felt like it. I knew where all of my belongings were, so if I wanted to paint, I could paint. Not only could I paint, I could paint several things.

Canvas! Paint pouring! Watercolor! Pastels!

So many options!

Perhaps someone made me mad and I wanted to reach for an adult coloring book full of naughty words?

I did that often.

Or maybe if I was down, I could reach for my favorite book of all time, which always cheers me up. (The Five People You Meet in Heaven.)

I've learned through therapy that I have to have an outlet when things get bad. I can't just sit around and do nothing. When things get bad, I need to have my fingers doing some sort of art to get my mind off of things.

The thing is, though, when you don't have a permanent roof over your head, all of these creative outlets are packed away in boxes hundreds of miles away.

It sucks.

I do have some of my possessions with me right now, but I haven't found my art supplies yet. I don't know where my colored pencils or markers or paints are.

I did find my favorite book the other day, though, and I cried like a baby when I unpacked it. And then I hugged it (and its prequel) and then I cried some more.

Painting, photography, design and all of the other creative things that I like to do are all secondary loves in my life. I'm good at some of those things, all right at some of those things, and mediocre at some of them.

But those all secondary loves of mine. My first love in life will always be writing.

I never thought my writing was worthy of being in pretty journals, so I never bought them. I always just bought notebooks that kids use in school to write in.

But recently I've learned that maybe I am worthy after all. 

A few weeks ago, I bought a set of three journals. The one I'm currently writing in in black, just the right size, and has a moon and flowers on it.

My writing is worthy of being in it.

Some of the writing I can share on here, some of it can only be shared with my closest friends. (I'm so, so sorry, guys. Haha.)

It's been years since I've written with pencil and paper.

I've learned to find that creative escape and just roll with it. 

--

Every time Raven goes outside here, I hold the door open for her.

She takes her sweet time. Sometimes she gets lost and I have to pick her up and toss her outside.

I've been telling her for a few days that she's really good at letting flies in. Fyi, letting flies in means you're cute, but you're pretty much worthless.

I wrote this tonight. 

I thought you'd like it.

--

Flies in

 

I saw my brother’s kids

the other day

A red head and a curly blonde-haired kid

‘I love you 100’ they’d say

 

It’s summertime in Kansas

100 degrees in the dry summer sun

I gave those kids a flyswatter

And then I let them run

 

They screamed and ran around

started smacking things

Watching them reminds me

of the songs we used to sing

 

On the swings

On the playground

As I left to go home

I hugged them and told them I’d see them around

 

Their baby sister

Blue-eyed and dirty blonde hair

I just want to sit her down

And explain all the drama she’ll fair

 

Sometimes you meet someone

who’s only good at letting flies in

And then when that door finally shuts

Your whole world will spin

 

Three little girls,

Seven, seven and five years old

In 10 years, they’ll meet a boy

Then they’ll be whirled and twirled

 

Three little beautiful girls

I don’t know how to tell them this

In 10, 15, or 20 years

Their whole world will be amiss

 

Stay little as long as you can, girls

Don’t play with make up yet

Instead

go outside and sweat

 

Play your little heart out

Jump on the trampoline

Sing as loud as you can

Dance in the basement with Papa and a tambourine

 

Sing about rock and roll

About coconuts and chicken wings and all those times when

Do this before you fall for someone who’s only good at

Letting the flies in

 

Take a wooden spoon

Sit on my kitchen floor

Bang on the tubberware containers

While your Grandma laughs in the door

 

Please color me pictures

To hang on my fridge

If you keep painting and drawing me more

I’ll move them on the door just a smidge

 

I look at these beautiful kids

And wonder when

I’ll find someone who is good at something

Other than letting flies in

 

Girls, go fishing with Papa

Whenever he wants to

Lie about how big the fish is

It’s okay if some things are untrue

 

Please name the fish

Flower, Sparkles or Cutie Pie

And give that fish a kiss

before you meet a guy

 

I can never explain

how much I love you

Please run to me, let me spin you around

Before all the drama and boys ensue

 

Please don’t grow up too fast

And when I ask for a kiss

Go to the cabinet, pull out a chocolate one

Place it in my hand, God I’ll miss this

 

Kids, the only thing your aunt excels at

is finding men

Who are only good

At letting the flies in

 

Please hug me as hard as you can

I’ll take you swimming and sledding

And then I’ll take you home, tell you I love you so much

And tuck you in under your Spiderman bedding

 

I’ll go back to my house

Reach down deep within

And silently wonder when I’ll meet someone

Who’s good at something other than letting flies in

 

Girls, there will be a day

When your daddy will walk you down the aisle

And it might take a while

But I’ll be right beside him, with a smile

 

And I can’t wait for the day in your life

When I find out

who flies in

No comments:

Post a Comment