Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Donuts should come before love.

 I’ve been thinking about this story for a while now, and it makes me laugh whenever it pops up in my head.

I figured I should write it down before I forget about it. 

I’m going to preface this by saying that I’m a pretty traditional person. I read a newspaper that I can hold in my hands, and the hill that I’m willing to die on is that books should not be charged. (No Nooks for me.)

I’m also showing my age here, which is all right. 

So, I’m a pretty traditional person. That also applies to music in my life. 

One thing I’m excited about is to own a house again so I can get a record player. Doing things old school and the traditional way means something to me.

On the way to work in the mornings, I’ve been thinking about this a lot. When I listen to music, especially if it’s the first time listening to new music, I try to listen to music in the order that’s laid out on the album.

I listen to the first track, then the second, then the third. 

I believe that artists put songs in that order for a reason, and I believe it’s meant to be heard that way.

My favorite love song of all time is a bluegrass song by John McCutcheon called ‘Along Came You.’ 

I first heard that song when I was 22 years old, and I’ve loved it ever since. I remember hearing it for the first time live in Winfield, and I remember thinking to myself that if I ever get married, that song is going to be my wedding song.

The wedding part of my life isn’t working out so well right now, and I haven’t been listening to a lot of love songs lately.

I’ve been kind of hooked on killing people in New Orleans songs instead.

But this week, for whatever reason, I’ve been giving love songs a try. I play ‘Along Came You’ on repeat when I drive to work in the morning.

Remember when I said that I believe in listening to songs in album order? I think it means something. It’s just meant to be listened to that way.

On John McCutcheon’s album, Passage, the most beautiful love song I’ve ever heard, ‘Along Came You,’ is preceded by a song about donuts.

It means something, guys.

Every time I listen to my favorite love song, I have to listen to ‘Ode to a Krispy Kreme’ first. You better believe I know all the lyrics, and I have a mini dance session in my car every morning as I sing about donuts.

And on my wedding day, if that day ever comes, I’m 2,000 percent sure that before my first dance with the love of my life, I’m going to play that damn donut song first. 

I believe that things happen for a reason, and I believe that oftentimes, donuts should come before love.

No comments:

Post a Comment