Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Cancelled.

The email that I've been waiting for finally landed in my inbox today.

Cheyenne Frontier Days will not be happening this year, for the first time in 124 years.

It's hard to care about Cheyenne Frontier Days when I live in a town with what I consider the world's greatest rodeo.*

I know that this problem is a very, very small problem in the grand scheme of life. I know that COVID-19 is real and I know it's deadly.

That being said, I decided a while ago that I wouldn't go to Cheyenne because it wasn't safe. Then my favorite singer, the one who was playing Cheyenne, for which I bought a pit ticket to, announced that he wasn't going to tour until there's a vaccine.

I've known this was going to happen for months.

I'm okay with that.

Ashley McBryde and Eric Church, I've been in the same space as you once before (in Nashville, when Ashley McBryde and I went to Church last year**). It will happen again.

In the words of my favorite singer: We shall rage. We shall roar. We shall meet again.

In my words: But we won't meet again this summer.

Perhaps I'll see the song These Boots played in Cheyenne another year. Maybe I'll hear Knives of New Orleans in New Orleans one day.

Maybe I'll hear a song from a band that saves me, man.

Maybe is enough for now.


* - I've only ever been to two other small town rodeos, though, so I might be biased. Ours is pretty great and has to be the best in the world.

** - For full disclosure, Ashley McBryde and I did not go to an Eric Church concert together last year. But I got a kick out of the fact that she tweeted she was there that night, just like us other normal folks did.

*** - Again, for full disclosure, I'm pretty sure I was in the same vicinity as Mitch Albom, my favorite author, one time. I get a kick out of things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment