Thursday, August 8, 2019

Better

My brother made a comment the other day that it's been a year since he put his old dog to sleep.

I made a mental note of the date in my head, and said to myself that yes, that sounded about right.

A year ago, I was in a relationship. I got dumped shortly thereafter. (If you're keeping track, I got dumped again in December. Being dumped twice in one year is pretty awesome, let me tell you.)

I started thinking back to one year ago. I had no idea that anything that's happened over the past year of my life would even be possible.

I spent a couple of days being sad, then I decided to go to a concert in Oklahoma, by myself. You might remember those blog posts I wrote, including the one about a certain singer stealing my Sharpie.

Ha, ha.

I got dumped and then went to an Eric Church concert, managed to be in the front row, and then got his autograph.

Um, that was amazing.

Can I get dumped more often? Because what happened after that dumping was probably the best thing that's ever happened to me.

I spent more time with my family. The biggest regret I have is that I spent so much time with a family that wasn't mine and that I ended up losing.

At that concert, I was already talking to that dumper's replacement. Although that replacement didn't last, that was the most fun I've ever had in a relationship. During the mostly happy times with him, we traveled, we drank, I yelled at him for watching Fox News, we went to museums, shut down bars and listened to music as loud as we could.

That's my kind of relationship.

I'd also like to take credit for that guy voting for the first time, ever. (His other girlfriend might have been encouraging it, as well. I'll never know, but I'd like to think I'm the reason.)

Several people have asked me recently where I see myself in a year, five years, and 10 years.

I have no idea how to answer that, because I have no idea what's in store for my life.

A year ago, I thought my world ended. I had no idea that I would own a new car or travel to Tennessee by myself (and love every single second of it).

I think being in bad relationships makes you stronger. I heard a saying the other day, something like: "It doesn't matter if you give your all to the wrong person. It still won't be enough."

I've only learned over the past year (years, actually) that hating the other woman won't bring a guy back. It's just wasted energy*. I've also learned that being where you aren't wanted is the worst feeling in the world.

There will be others in the future, I'm sure. Eventually, I'll replace the replacement that didn't work out. I will smile, listen to loud music at 2 a.m., probably drink a little bit, go to the drive-in just to cuddle, and then start the process all over again.

When the time comes to talk about past relationships with that person, I'll mention it briefly, gloss over the details, and then close that topic permanently.

Because the next one deserves better.

--

*Energy story: My brilliant and beautiful 3-year-old niece asked me why the energy goes out every night. If we just call the energy people, the lights would stay on and we wouldn't have to go to bed at night.

She wins at life.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment