Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Human Pickles

Over the weekend I met the human version of Pickles, and the experience did not disappoint.

I'm not sure where I can even begin to describe that sentence, so I guess I should start from the beginning. 

---

I have a dog named Pickles. She is three, she is gray, and she is insanely adorable and happy.

She is so happy, in fact, that sometimes I get mad at her because of her happiness. Pickles loves everything and everyone. Pickles loves every single person she meets, and she loves just about everything in her life.

Pickles loves love.

That's the story of Dog Pickles. The story of Human Pickles is coming up here shortly.

---

A while back, I had a pretty important conversation with my nieces. 

I asked my Mom when it was appropriate to tell the kids (4, 4, and 2) that I was seeing someone. 

Grandma said that now is as good a time as any. 

So I awkwardly explained to my little nieces that their aunt is dating somebody. 

At the time, I thought this was earth shattering news. The food came about 20 seconds later, and suddenly the conversation turned to more important things in life, specifically about where to put ketchup on their plate.

About a week later, I decided to test whether the little girls remembered our conversation. I brought up the fact that I was dating someone to them, and told them his name.

Little K, who is 4 and excited about Halloween, had an important question.

K: Is he a spider?

No, little K. I am not dating a spider.

K: Are you sure?

Yep, kid. I'm pretty sure. 

At that point little K wandered off to do little kid things. I started talking to little L. 

"He's your friend?" she asked me.

Yes, I told her. He is my friend.

"He's your friend friend?"

Yes, child. He is my friend friend. 

---

Over the weekend, my friend friend and I went to a concert. 

At one point during the concert, my friend friend told me he was learning a lot of dance moves from the woman beside him.

I looked over, and when I finally saw it, I could not look way.

This woman was dancing like she had nothing to lose. She was a cute, short women, youngish, a brunette with a pixie hair cut.

She was rocking out the entire time. 

When I finally realized who she reminded me of, I knew I had to tell my friend friend. When I got his attention and started to tell him, all that came out was laughter.

I could not keep a straight face or tell my story. 

After I giggled for a while, I finally got my point across. The lady dancing around and being obnoxiously happy was basically the human version of Pickles. 

We named her Human Pickles. 

When I lost Human Pickles in the crowd, I asked my friend friend where she was. 

He said he didn't know, but when she returned we would both know it, because she would skip back to her place. 

My giggling was epic.

I never thought I'd meet the human version of my dog in another city at a concert, but life can be kind of random like that.

The world needs more people like Human Pickles (and Dog Pickles).


No comments:

Post a Comment