Thursday, November 2, 2017

You want what for Halloween?



Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.

This year, I had a whopping six kids come to my door and get candy...and I was related to 50 percent of those kids.

I knew my brother's kids were at the door when they came in without ringing the doorbell. They each got a toy and some M&Ms.

Curly-haired child was quiet and hiding in my bedroom. The baby was crabby and crying. But my favorite little red-head was her usual spunky self.

She looked at my dinner sitting on my table, and rubbed her stomach. I offered her some broccoli salad, to which she made a face.

She had a request, though. A special Halloween request.

"Eggs."

Red-haired child, you want what for Halloween?

"Eggs."

I almost caved and made her some scrambled eggs for Halloween.

Did she think she was going to park it at my house and stay overnight? Was she going to kick off her shoes, eat some scrambled eggs, and stay a while?

I'm not sure.

I knew they still had to stop at Grandma's, so I stalled the red-haired child and told her that maybe Grandma would make her some eggs.

She let it go, gave me a nosey, and went out my door without eggs.

This child and I share a middle name, are both pretty introverted, and she was, by a whole minute, the child who made me an aunt.

She's also the child who told her twin sister regarding a barbeque grill: "Stick your curly head in it."

She's quiet, but she's fierce.

I hope the child who asks for eggs on Halloween grows up to be just as weirdly amazing as she is now.

I was taking a picture of her when she told me: "Monica, you not in the picture.
Get in the picture." And then I melted into a big pile of goo.

No comments:

Post a Comment