Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Giving thanks

There's been a lot of death around my parts of the world lately.

Around two weeks ago, an accident just outside of town killed a woman and her kids. That stretch of highway is one I drive often. In fact, I just drove that way on Monday.

A friend's Dad passed away about two weeks ago as well.

Last week, I had some errands to run. I knew it would be quicker to run around town by myself, but I found myself driving to my Mom and Dad's house instead.

I went and collected my Dad, then went around town to the different stores I needed to go to. We bought paint, and I got some other stuff I needed for my house.

Then, we went to my brother's house. We watched the twins ride their new wheels, and when the twins said "Monta's house!" I couldn't tell them no.

It would have been faster to run errands myself, but in the back of my head I knew that hanging out with family is something that many people wish they could do.

The twins came to my house and helped me clean up my yard. I got chased and smacked with a big stick. I showed the twins the new grass coming up in my yard. I sighed as they demolished the leaf and twig pile I had just finished raking.

When we were done with my yard, we headed to the playground. One of my favorite things about my house is that I can walk to the playground with them.

We played hard, guys. Grandpa and I went down the slides, holding their hands. We went out to eat afterward, and the twins were pooped. One laid her down on me and the other one laid her head on the table.

They were done for the day.

I would have gotten a lot more done on my own that day. In fact, I didn't get much of anything done, except hanging out with my family.

I'm okay with that.

You never know when things are going to be taken away from you. That day, I choose to be thankful for what I have in my life, slow down, and enjoy the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment