Tuesday, January 3, 2017

On houses and hopes

I went through a lot to get my house.

I ended up in a lawyer's office after my first attempt to buy a house backfired badly.

The thing is, though, I love my current house. I think it was always meant to be mine, and I think that's why I went through what I did before I found a house.

I've had long weekends over the past two weeks. I toyed around my house, fixing "up" ie, de-crapifying my back two bedrooms. I tinkered around here and there, put my Christmas decorations up, and re-arranged my furniture.

I looked around my kitchen and thought, holy crap, I have a kitchen.

I have a living room.

I have another living room.

I have another living room that I'm using at my bedroom.

My bedroom and bathroom combined are bigger than my first apartment.

Holy crap, guys.

Holy crap.

My brother's old house was bought by a rental company, and they're now advertising it for rent. As I told a friend the other day, that's the problem with hometown and the housing market. The houses in the affordable price range - $80,000 to $150,000 - get snatched up by rental companies and aren't available to buy for the little people like myself.

The people I bought my house from sold it to me because the only other offer on it was an all-cash offer from a guy who had rentals. The previous homeowners wanted someone to live in it who would own it and love it as much as they did.

I will not stay in this house forever. But when I decide to sell it, it will be sold to someone who loves it and who will respect it just as much as I do.

I've brought dogs home to this house. I've cried over boys in this house. I've sweat in this house, I've bled in this house. This year, better things will happen in this house.

I'm pretty sure 2017 will be better than 2016. I'm pretty sure that 2016 and 2015 both sucked really, really bad things, but I'm certain 2017 will be better.

I know 2017 will be better. I know it, just like Lorelei knows when it's going to snow.*

*I had to put a Gilmore Girls reference in there. Ps, I HATE LOGAN. DAMMIT RORY, MAKE BETTER DECISIONS.

No comments:

Post a Comment