Friday, July 17, 2015

"You're supposed to give me a ribbon!"

Yesterday, I had the honor of judging several categories for the county fair.

I'm blessed that I had the opportunity to do this. I'm also blessed that I have a job that embraces civic duties and community leadership.

I was in 4-H when I was little. I was one of those kids who talked to the judge. I didn't like it. I was terrified of it and never wanted to do it.

It made me laugh yesterday at the children's different personality types. Some needed pushed by Mom or Dad. Some were so terrified, they just stared at me and didn't say anything.

I prompted them.

"Tell me about your dog."

"Tell me about your chickens."

"What do you like about it?"

"Was your project hard to make?"

One girl wasn't shy and didn't need prompting. She told me: "You're supposed to give me a ribbon!"

I thought, kid, I'm overwhelmed and surrounded by 10-year-olds at the moment. I'll give you a ribbon in a few minutes, okay?

That made me laugh.

When my judging duties were over, I went to leave. That sounds simple, right?

I ran into someone my brother's age. We talked for a few minutes about jobs, cities, and kids. Then I saw his mom, and we also talked about jobs, kids, cities, and grandkids.

I got about 10 feet closer to the door when I ran into some other family friends.

It took me about a while to leave the building because people kept talking to me (the epitome of a first world problem).

This is why I love the community I live in. I heard many times yesterday, "Is that Monica?" as I walked past people. Yes, I live here now. I'm here, and I still care about 4-H and the fair!

The same kids I was in 4-H with now have kids in 4-H. The same parents who were active in their kids' lives are now active in their grandchildren's lives.

It's a cycle that I don't mind being a part of.

(Like I told my co-worker yesterday, my children, when they exist, will be in 4-H.)

On another note, being a county fair judge is not the job to do if you're the most introverted person alive. I went to my house afterward and laid down. I didn't sleep. I just wanted to hear silence for a while.

Kids are exhausting but fun, cute, and sometimes bossy.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment