Tuesday, December 30, 2014

On debit cards and patience

This is the story of a lady with two checking accounts, two savings accounts, and zero debit cards.

Sigh.

As I blogged about before, I lost a lot of important financial stuff over the weekend. (Note to self: At least I didn't lose my taxes and social security card like I did that time I was trying to fill out paperwork to buy a house. Ahem. That was a fun night trying to find those things.)

Before anyone asks, no, someone did not steal my checkbook, checks and debit card.

I'm sometimes a dumbass who loses things on a pretty regular basis.

Anyway, I needed to switch banks because my current bank is leaving town soon. On my lunch break I went to the credit union to open an account.

I walked in, they knew my name, asked me how my parents were, and we got down to business.

Oh, small towns, how I love thee.

There's a catch, though - it turns out there's more than one credit union in town. It turns out that I'm a dumbass and I opened an account at the wrong one, the one that doesn't offer debit cards.

I need a debit card like I need wine and rum. (Insert note about how I'm not an alcoholic here.)

It would be great if I could do this again.
After I realized my mistake, I went back to the perfectly fine credit union to close my account, which was a whopping 20-minutes old at that point.

They didn't seem to mind, and everyone was perfectly nice to me. The one lady who could help me was on the phone, so I sat down and waited.

I checked Pinterest.

I checked Reddit.

I read emails, I answered emails.

One of my biggest vices in life is my patience. During job interviews, when people ask the question about your biggest weakness, or what you would change about yourself, I always say something about how my patience is always a work in progress.

But the truth is that I'm not really working on it. It's non-existent, extinct at this point.

If I want to do something, I want to do it now. Not later, now.

Is it done yet? No? Can you do it now, then?

Every minute I sat in that chair listening to other accounts being opened was like sitting in a small room hearing nails on a chalkboard.

It dragged on.

And on.

And on.

AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON.

Sigh.

Like I said, everyone was perfectly nice to me. I eventually found the right bank to go to, which means I'll finally have a debit card in about two weeks.

TWO WEEKS?

Triple sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment