Saturday, December 13, 2014

Aunt 1, Baby 0

One of my nieces doesn't like wearing clothes.

When her dad is changing her, he has a talk with her about how big girls have to wear clothes.

When he tells me that story, I laugh. I've also never really experienced said dislike for not wearing clothes until this week.

My dad (baby's grandpa) was changing said baby into a sleeper earlier this week. I came in the room, told the baby hello, and noticed that my dad silently left the room.

He'll be back, I thought. I started playing toys with the baby. I showed her how they make noise. She mimicked me and played with the same toy. I kissed her chubby little cheeks. I told her I had her toes. She laughed and was pretty happy.

My dad never came back into the room.

Hmm. What's an aunt to do with a baby wearing only a diaper? Her sleeper was right beside her. I should probably dress her, I thought.

I tried. She cried. (I should write a poem about this.) My dad came back into the room, smiled at me, wished me good luck and then left the room again.

The aunt thing is a hard gig sometimes.

The baby who doesn't like wearing clothes won't work with you at all. If I put her foot in a sleeper, she'll kick it out. If I want her to put her little hand into a fist to go through a long-sleeve shirt, she'll flex her fingers out as far as she can.

Kid, work with me here!

I bent over her to work on her sleeves. She started kicking me. I'm pretty sure her goal was to kick me in the face.

Sigh.

Once her sleeper was finally on, I zipped it up, handed a clothed and pissed off baby over to my parents, then returned the favor and left the room.

Aunt 1, Baby 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment