Sunday, October 12, 2014

Oh. My. God.

My perfect day off involves coffee, books, and not really getting out of my pajamas.

I took vacation time next week, which means I have a blissful week ahead of me doing absolutely nothing. Well, not technically nothing, as I'm freelancing and have some interviews and phone calls to make.

But for the majority of the week, I'll be doing nothing. And it will be glorious.

On Friday I was at Menards, browsing the book section. I picked up "Gone Girl" and read the description. I've almost bought it before a couple of times. The nail in the coffin, though, was my parents telling me that the movie was the best movie they've seen in a while.

That's enough for me to buy the book. I looked at the price of the book, $8, then saw that the cover of the book has the movie poster on it.

That violates all kind of rules. I can't buy a book with a movie photo on the cover. I put the $8 book back and splurged on the $10 book with the original cover.

When I went to check out, the clerk picked up the book and didn't try to contain her excitement. She asked me if I had seen the movie yet. I said no, because I wanted to read the book first. 

We had a nice, nerdy conversation about books in a store that sells lumber and tools.

That gave me warm fuzzies. 

Anyway, I'm not going to reveal any spoilers. Instead I want to talk about why I love books, the physical things you put into your hands, over reading books on those iThings.

First, I love sharing books. Later today I'm going to give the book to a friend to read. 

You can't exactly share iThings, you know?

I can't explain it. I've tried reading on my iPad but I can't do it. It doesn't feel right.

There's a spot in the book that took my breath away. Literally, when I turned the page, I read the first sentence and gasped.

I read about 10 pages after that, then I went back to the spot and turned the page again.

It took my breath away for a second time.

I don't know how the movie is going to handle that scene, but the book handled it perfectly. For me, you just can't replace the feeling of turning the page of a book and getting shocked at the first sentence you read.

That's about all I have to say. I spent most of yesterday reading. Today, I have to be productive and do laundry, clean my car, and pay my bills.

I really just want to read, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment