Monday, September 22, 2014

Whoever invented feta cheese, I love you.

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I just made delicious Greek pizza and made my own pizza dough.

I'm not saying I'm going to open a pizzeria soon, but it was pretty good.

In Nebraska a couple weeks ago we ate at a delicious beer and pizza place. I skipped out on the beer part, but did order a Greek pizza and added some chicken on it.

I can't even begin to describe how delicious it was. It had olive oil, sun dried tomatoes and black olives on it. The crust was perfect, thin, and crunchy.

And, oh darn, I had to eat it for breakfast one morning. What a terrible life I have, right?

I knew after that I was going to attempt to make my own pizza.

It started with a shopping list and several different recipes. In the end, I'll be honest, I just made my own recipe up.

I have no patience for recipes and I'm not really one for following written instructions anyway.


I knew I wanted to make two different kinds of pizza. The first one was my version of the pizza I had in Nebraska. My version had feta, black olives, spinach and onions, chicken, and roasted red pepper.

It was my favorite of the two. I did a pretty good job rolling the crust out in a circle, and it actually looked like a real pizza.

The second one, um, not so much. But it still tasted okay.

For the second one I added chopped up canned tomatoes for a sauce and threw some mozzarella with the feta.

This pizza wasn't round, it was kind of oblong, and I put way too many toppings on it.

Like I said, though, it was still pretty good. Whoever invented feta cheese, I love you.

A few pizza notes:
  • As with many other things in life, I completely failed at some aspects of it. I didn't put enough flour in the dough and it wasn't as crisp as I wanted it to be. I also messed up and bought a roasted red bell pepper instead of sun dried tomatoes. Gah. Who does that? 
  • Also, making your own pizza is definitely not cheaper than buying a pizza. 
  • I spent an entire afternoon making two teeny tiny expensive pizzas. I have plans to do it again, too.  
  • I have no idea how people on Chopped cook in 20 or 30 minutes. It took me 20 minutes to pit 15 olives. I could have used more, but I got annoyed and gave up.




No comments:

Post a Comment