Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What do you do?

I read a pretty amazing blog post the other day.

I've been a fan of Peter Shankman for a while now. While I was online the other day, I came across his latest blog post where he talks about the shit hitting the fan.

I don't know what situation that particular friend of his was in, and I have no idea what happened, but I think it's safe to say that at some point, the shit hits the fan in everyone's life.

The point of his post is to encourage people to have a plan in place when that happens. Because, whether you like it or not, life's not always rosy and bad stuff can and will happen to you.

Here's the post I'm talking about: What protects you from your unexpected darkness?

Here are some good parts from his blog: 
So I ask you… When your shit hits the fan, what do you do? Do you have a plan? What is it? Is it healthy or is it destructive? Do you know the difference? When your world turns upside down, will you be able to do that which saves you, or that which dooms you? 
I will NEVER begrudge anyone their own way of handling themselves when their shit hits the fan. All I’ll do now is ask you this one question: When did Noah start building the ark? Before it started raining.
My friends, if you don’t have a solid plan in place to protect you when your own darkness hits, I beg of you: Come up with one, and have it ready. HEAR ME: You’re valuable to so many people, and you never know when your own darkness might be too much for you to handle. Make sure you have a plan in place, along with people willing to listen, so that when the bad news you were least expecting hits, you’re protected. And if you don’t, and the bad news hits, I’ll listen. Email me. Call me. Get in touch. We’re all on this rock together.
I've been pretty lucky in life so far. I have food to eat, a reliable car to drive, a roof over my head, and a great job. I don't have a lot to complain about.

I don't know that I've figured out what to do when the shit hits the fan, but I've figured out what I can't do.

I can't stay inside. 

Happiness doesn't come from staring at a clock on the wall, four walls around you or with a visual reminder that you haven't done dishes or laundry yet.

To get out of whatever funk that's getting to me at the moment, I have to be outside. I go for walks, I take my dorky dog out for a drive, I go to the gym, I sit around a chiminea and listen to music. 

That's what I do.

What do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment