Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Wherein I talk about that thing I don't like talking about.

It started innocently enough on the way to SXSW on the first full day. We took the train, and at one of the train stops in town there was an advertisement for an app where you can search for local businesses.

The local business that was being advertised was a dentist's office. There was a photo of a girl looking at the camera with a rubber dam in her mouth. She was cute, probably a teenager, and looked like she was in a good mood and having a good time.

Please note, you don't look that glamorous with that in your mouth. You end up slobbering all over yourself for multiple hours (Source: Me).

I punched my boss in the arm (not really, but I did mentally) and said, 'Dude, really?' when I saw that sign. Okay, I probably didn't say exactly that, but that's what I was thinking.

This problem follows me wherever I go.

Then came a talk from Neil deGrasse Tyson. One of the many things he talked about was teeth, which prompted this text message conversation.


I thought that was the end of it. But no, my speaker yesterday morning also talked about teeth and mouthwash for 10 minutes.


I did not take a picture of the teeth slide, but I did take a picture of the mouthwash slide.

Sigh.

I notice this more than other people do because so far this year, I've logged 7.5 hours sitting in a dental chair*.

And it's only March.

So, multiple speakers and presenters at SXSW, thanks for making me listen to your speeches about teeth.

I could probably lead a panel at next year's SXSW on the subject. The main thing I would talk about is how delicious Starbucks tastes in the morning after using medicated mouthwash that tastes like vomit.

Sigh.

I'm leaving you with a sweet message that Candy Crush had for me one night.


Whine, whine.

*Yes, I'm keeping track. I'm thinking of rewarding myself when I hit the 10 or 20 hour mark. Maybe a new purse? Some updates to my car? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment