Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Quotes

Good evening!

I've had a busy past couple of weeks. Blog-wise, I don't have a whole lot to say. I'm tired and I need a nice long nap and some peace and quiet.

I don't have words of my own tonight, so I'm going to borrow other people's words.

From the Stuff Mom Never Told You podcast via How Stuff Works:

It will not be anything like you think it will be like, but surprises are good for you. And don’t be frightened, you can always change your mind.

I tried to pursue things that make me the happiest. And if that means getting a little messy? Then you have to do what you have to do.

Success is making the best choices we can, and accepting it.

Find what makes you happy and find it before it’s too late.

Women in the office don’t exist just for men to look at.

There’s still this sneaking suspicion that it’s all fake and that you have just fooled everybody.

It’s unrealistic to assume that your life will never interfere with your work, just as your work will never interfere with your life. These things do blend.

There’s also the great Nora Ephron, who in her 1996 Wellesley commencement speech said: It will be a little messy, but embrace the mess. It will be complicated, but rejoice in the complications. It will not be anything like you think it will be like, but surprises are good for you. And don’t be frightened, you can always change your mind. I know, I’ve had four careers and three husbands.

It takes the brain less than 2 seconds to process anger.

Give us equality in the workplace, and put your dishes away.

There is a point where you’re not just in a funk.

The point of remembering that anger is a normal human emotion is really important. It makes you rationalize things in the heat of the moment.

If you want 50/50, you have to ask for it.

Long-term success at work often depends on not trying to meet every demand placed on us. The best way to make room for both life and career is to make choices deliberately, to set limits and stick to them.

So what do we do with these fears in inherent feelings of failure?

One thing that we really have to do is allow ourselves to make and learn from our mistakes. If we’re already pessimistic, we have this inherent, defensive pessimism, why don’t we just take a deep breath, kind of relax, and say, hey, if I’m going to make mistakes, I’m going to make them, but I’m going to learn from them and move on from there.
It’s also okay that you react emotionally to criticism.

Our hard work is evident. People would not rely on us if they didn’t think they could rely on us.

I think it’s more important to find your happiness in life more than it is of having some magazine created idea of having it all.

From The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch:

When you’re screwing up and no one says anything, that means they gave up.

Wait long enough and people will surprise and impress you. Just give them enough time and they’ll impress you.

They’re both ways of saying, “I don’t know,” but there’s a good way and a bad way.

Some brick walls are made of flesh.


That’s why I became a professor. What better place to enable childhood dreams?

You obviously don’t know where the bar should be, and you’re only going to do them a disservice by putting it anywhere.

I don’t know how to not have fun. I’m dying and I’m having fun. And I’m going to keep having fun every day I left.

When it comes to men, it’s really simple. Just ignore everything they say and only pay attention to what they do. It’s that simple.

Don’t bail. The best gold is at the bottom of the barrels of crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment