Monday, February 10, 2014

On snow and dog sitting

I'm not really sure how many inches of snow we got, but the number doesn't really matter.

My Pug knows there's white stuff out there, and she wants no part of it.

This is how my weekend went:

"Penny, want to go outside?"

"...Penny? Where are you?"

"Penny!"

Once the word 'outside' is mentioned, she puts her tail between her legs and runs away from me. She'll lay on a dog bed in the front room facing the wall, pretending to be invisible. She won't go outside by herself, so I have to pick her up, open the door, then toss her outside. She also starts shivering violently as soon as the word 'outside' is mentioned.

And that's how I spent my weekend.

Pugs.

I also spent the weekend watching multiple houses and multiple sets of dogs. This leaves me spread a little thin, and I don't have a whole lot of patience for dogs who act like idiots (I say that with all the love in my heart).

Idiot No. 1:

Jasper is a blue merle Collie. He's five years old (I think) and he's a beautiful, playful dog.

He also hates it when I watch him.

I've lived in my hometown for 2.5 years now. I see this dog almost every day. He's always happy to see me and he doesn't mind coming to me and asking for chicken chewies.

But Jasper doesn't like it when I'm in charge. He'll stare at me, like he is in this picture, with a disapproving look on his face.

I mean, I know how to take care of dogs. I spent five years in college. I think I can handle this. Food, water, medicine, go outside, belly rub, toys...it's not that difficult.

But Jasper is unconvinced about me being qualified to take care of him. He whines and cries in the middle of the night, spends his days pacing around the house, and he stares at the door that leads into the garage, as if my parents are right behind it.

I don't know what to tell him.

Does anyone have a pair of big boy pants he can borrow when his owners are out of town?

No comments:

Post a Comment