Saturday, November 9, 2013

To boot

There are some pretty important questions in life.

Did that school district have extra money leftover from the bond issue a few years ago? What did they do with it, and was it money well spent? Why is healthcare so expensive?

More importantly: Could I pull off that cute pair of boots?

I faced a few dilemmas while shopping out of town recently. One was about a pink scarf I decided I couldn’t pull off. The other was about a pair of tan boots that fit me perfectly.

The black pair would be the safer choice, but the store didn’t have them in my size. They were less snazzy and wouldn’t stand out as much as the tan pair. The less snazz the better, I thought.

There was one pair of the tan boots in my size. I tried them on. A little girl, probably around 7 or 8 years old, tried on a pair of glittery flats beside me. She didn’t seem to notice or care about the pickle I was in.

Boots. Cute boots. Am I really that person?
                                                                                   
A lot has changed in the past year for me. Some of the changes include not eating like a hung-over college student, working out almost every day and doing yoga.

The result? Every single piece of clothing that was in my closet last year has been donated. The second round of clothes that don’t fit me anymore are sitting in plastic bags, waiting to be donated.

I wore a pair of jeans a few days ago that will have to be donated with that pile. I bought those jeans three months ago.

Changing the way you look is a big deal.

With that in mind, I bought the boots. I tried them on when I got home and thought pretty hard about whether I was that person. I considered returning them.

Then, I made a decision. The answer to my life’s most burning question is yes. Yes, I can pull off those boots.

I’m pulling them off right now, and they’re fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment